Saturday, 11 February 2012

Flirting in Florence

I thought this would be an appropriate title as Florence has been an adventure from the very start. We hadn't even got off the platform before some guy tried to pick me. He was quite attractive I must say with a smoke in his mouth and bare feet. Naomi thinks i narrowly escaped a marriage proposal there. It definitely set the seen for our stay in Florence.

Again we struggled to find out accommodation (it really is a challenge to follow directions when not all streets are signed). It also doesnt help that all streets tend to look really similar. They definately add to the charm of this place but its just so hard to tell them apart. We were both overjoyed when we eventually found our accommodation because it's freezing here and quite windy. Our good moods one continued when we got to our. It's amazingly fancy and heaps of fun. But what makes this hotel so great I reckon is the staff. Every single one of them are so nice and friendly. It definitely makes the day a little bit brighter to see people smiling.

We have enjoyed tea party style breakfast in a very fancy breakfast room and had lots of adventures wandering the streets. My favorite thing about Florence is just wandering the streets and looking the windows at what being made in the shops. We've seen everything from a cello to furniture to all kinds of leather work. I love that it's still all about the family business rather than mass manufacturing. It allows for so much more history and provides a story for each object. It's great to actually talk to the person who made the stuff I'm buying.

The restaurant we ate at on Thursday night actually had a wood oven. We have been told that wood oven style pizza is amazing so we decided to head back there in Friday night to try one. We learnt an important lesson. It's a good idea to only go to a restaurant once. The waiter actually remembered us from the previous night which made it a little when we took an interest in who we were and where we are from. It actually created a quite awkward conversation as he kept staring at me. And then he delayed giving us the bill until we actually stood up and started to head for the door. Then started to apologise for charging us to sit in the restaurant. The conversation ended with introductions and we fell out the door laughing. I really can't understand why I'm so interesting. Perhaps it's a good thing that we're moving on to a new city today.

No comments:

Post a Comment