Thursday, 16 February 2012

Visiting Venice & Verona

We arrived in Venice mid-afternoon and it was freezing cold. For a city that we had been advised that even with a map you are bound to get lost I think we did exceptionally well getting to our accommodation without getting lost.

After dropping our stuff in our room we set out to find St Mark's basilica. It was quite disturbing to both of us to have people walking past us wearing masks. Little did we know that Venice is actually in the middle a carnival that involved dressing up in really elaborate costumes (some we really old) and wearing mask. By the time we found out way to s.marco (as its called) we were both really cold. After a quick walk around we decided to head back to the warmth of our hotel. It was after dark by this time and really cold so we conveniently got lost. With only a limited map we were a little bit stuck. It was a miracle we made it back before we froze but we did :)

The supermarket held a few surprises for us too. We have discovered chocolate filled croissants which are amazing for breakfast and we also found really cheap profiteroles that makes an awesome desert :)

Sunday had us waking up to a city covered in a blanket of snow. It was really pretty and something a little bit different for me to have snow crunching under my feet (unlike the snow in Rome that was more icy). We spent the day wandering Venice enjoying the sights and having a good time shopping. I have learnt that the meaning of cheap is Venice isn't the same as my cheap. I saw a skirt in a window that was really pretty and the sign said cheap and chic so I thought it was worth a look. Well that skirt was 489 euros. Just a little bit out of my price range.

Monday saw us jump on our first regional train and head for Verona. They are soooo much slower but we did eventually arrive (after lunch). As we only had 1 night in Verona we dropped our bags and set out in search of Juliet's House. After watching 'Letters to Juliet' I was excited to see it for my self. I was disappointed to find that there isn't actually a wall where the broken hearted (or anybody else having relationship issues) leave letters to Juliet for advice. Not that I need any advice from Juliet. Instead you can by a padlock and attach it to the wall. Unfortunately I don't quite know what this is suppose to achieve. 

Following my disappointment I perked up really quickly when we found a Spudspar (as Naomi called Eurospar). All it is is a supermarket but it's actually the size of woollies or Coles in Australia. It was lots of fun to actually have a choice of things to by and we now have lots of snacks (only downer about that is I now get to carry it all).

Amazing observation: Naomi is such a born leader/oldest child (depending on who's point of view you take) that even when she gives me all navigational authority she still ends up in front

It's now time for a new country and a new language.

No comments:

Post a Comment